Sharkey's savage octane

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Sharkey's savage octane

Post by Sharkey_t » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 am

well, i was going to keep it quiet but i figured id give you guys something. im starting a new savage build and by the title im sure you guys have figured out whats going to power it.

a little background on it, i was real disappointed when hpi killed all traces of the octane series, both the savage and buggy. i had it in my mind that some day id build my own to show off what could have been. a few weeks back a fellow r/c-er sold me a plastic tote of savage parts. out of it i have already put together a like new savage x rtr thats up for sale, and an xl rolling chassis, with enough parts left over to build most of a rolling chassis. with a rolling chassis and no powerplant, i figured it was the right time to build it.

so the truck is nothing real special so far. i started with a new set of flux bulkheads and shock towers, for now it has a set of non bulletproof diffs that have been shimmed and filled with 30k oil front and back. its got heavy duty dogbones going to a 17mm hex hub conversion set, it uses standard length axles, not the wide xl ones. the transmission is a 3 speed with high speed 3rd gear, bulletproof mod, and its all been shimmed so its nice and tight. a new set of control arms, shock towers and uprights went on, and an old set of xtm aluminum shocks i had lying around complete the suspension. really the truck is an x with an extended chassis rather than a true xl, although i plan to run 1/2" offset wheels.

so basicly my plan with it is to build what hpi was. its not going to be full of aftermarket parts, id like to keep the thing as true to a savage as possible using custom and aftermarket parts only were needed. im sure your all wondering what engine im using, as i have an engine ordered im going to keep that to myself till its in my hand. i will say, no its not a 1/5 scale engine (23-30.5cc). i have already talked to Robin and yes it will be getting ercm tuned and a special ercm pipe.

so it looks like my engine will be a couple weeks away, and progress is going to be a little slow till the new year. for now ill leave you with a couple pics of the rolling chassis.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:10 am

Now this should be good  :twisted: I can't wait to hear how the motor sounds on the pipe too
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

greatwhite194
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by greatwhite194 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:50 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmm its going to be a nice one :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Meatgrinder
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Meatgrinder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Can't wait to see this up and running. Very curious to see how it will perform.
If you not braking something..... your not trying hard enough!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:15 pm

+1
I look forward to seeing how this build comes together
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:16 am

i cant wait to hear this thing run. ive watches some videos of one of the engines at idle, it sounds like a typical piped 2 stroke.

looks like the engine is on backorder, gonna take a while to get it now, im hoping ill get it before xmas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mxking1712
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by mxking1712 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:17 pm

very interesting! I cant wait to see this myself!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:47 am

well my engine showed up yesterday, sort of. they wouldnt leave it unless i signed for it, and i was at work so i gotta pick it up at the post office. i hope to get some pics up this weekend, just depends on how much time i spend at work. building a massive car stereo at work right now, 2 weeks to get it done before it goes to the consumer electronics show.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LeroyX » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:44 am

Geez sharkey, you almost need to start another thread about the stuff you are building at work as well, cool stuff!
[hr][i][b]Savage XL[/b] Clocked Picco Boost 28, ERCM end bleed, Bullet Proof 3spd with high spd 3rd, Hellfire 150 tank, OFNA throttle mod, Big Bores and lots of other stuff my wife doesnt know about...
[b]Savage XS[/b]- rolling on 2.8 Traxxas Talons[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:48 am

ok so i have the engine now. here are some pics.

first off, this engine is huge! its an evolution 15gx "small block". it does fit in the truck, it actually fits a little better than i thought it would. its one of only a few gas engines this small, they do make a 10cc version of it, however being hpi was planning a 15cc i figured that should be the route i go. i had a choice between an os and evolution 15cc gas engines, the real reason i went with the evolution was cost,i didnt see any reason to spend 2x the money on the os for this project. this engine includes its own cdi ignition box, a muffler, and even fuel tubing and filters. the ignition box has an output for a tach signal that will hook right to a telemetry system, perfect for my airtronics mt4. i also picked up a remote kill switch, allowing me to kill the engine from my radio. this engine doesnt has the horsepower rating, the 10cc version is rated at 1.7hp, im guessing this is somewhere around 2hp. max rpm is rated at 13,500, but thats with a prop, designed to run at that for hours on end. im sure the engine will rev out to 15000-18000rpm in a truck. to make sure of that, ive already discussed with robin from ercm about porting the engine, and he is also going to build a tuned pipe specifically for it.

i already have some ideas in mind for the engine mount plate and engine mounts. gearing is going to be the key in this truck, i need to get the ratio up because of the lower rpm output, however i need to get the combined tooth count (spur + pinion added together) down as the engine sits up quite high. ill be machining my own flywheel as i did with my nitro xo-1, and likely maching a clutch bell as well. the engine uses a beefy 5/16" (roughly 8mm) diameter crankshaft, opposed to the 5mm sg shafts on most big block nitro engines. i have thought about maching the crank down, im not sure on that yet, but it is an option. about the only thing ive discovered that was a surprise is the carb and its lack of idle screw. in an airplane, you set the throttle so with the stick fully down the engine will idle, and if you pull the trim back the throttle will close all the way and kill the engine. with this, when i hit the brakes the engine would die. not the end of the world, just something i didnt really think about. and dont worry, i have thought about how im going to start it, more on that once i get the engine mounted and flywheel/clutchbell figured out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:28 am

solving unexpected issues and fixing bugs is always the biggest fun of a DIY project! Good luck with that!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:48 am

for sure. i was thinking about it while i was at work and i already have a solution in mind, ill just make an adjustable stop for the throttle arm. simple yet effective.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

WyldOne
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by WyldOne » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:41 pm

I've got this thread sticky'd! :) Looking forward to seeing it burn some fuel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:55 pm

This is an awesome build. I wonder what the difficulty would be for someone to replicate or is it one of those one off builds. There is definitely a lot of interest in a octane savage so I wonder if this could go from one off to prototype to manufactured kits.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:49 am

well, were my twin nitro xo-1 build was a full on custom with as many custom parts as i could build, my goal with this one is the opposite. my goal is as few custom made parts and to use as much of the savage as possible, and if it works out well i am considering working it into a conversion kit. so far here is the list i have to build

-engine plate
-engine mounts
-idle screw set up for carb
-hub for different spur gear
-bellcrank for throttle linkage
-flywheel
-something with the crank or clutchbell, a custom pilot shaft maybe, unsure on that so far.

basicly thats all i really need, aside from a mid tank mod (not really needed but ideal), to get the engine in with the included muffler. past that, a tuned pipe and header would be ideal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:54 am

what clutch were you planning on using ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:33 pm

ill likely just run a typical 3 shoe clutch, at least to start with. on my 4 strokes ive had good luck with ofna blue shoes and the springs that come with the plastic hpi shoes. this allows the clutch to come in early enough to make use of the torque of the low reving 4 stroke. im guessing itll work the same with thew gasser

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:44 pm

quote sharkey "my goal is as few custom made parts and to use as much of the savage as possible, and if it works out well i am considering working it into a conversion kit. so far here is the list i have to build"

Thanks that really has me excited  :D   that I might be able to copy this build. A octane savage would be really cool to have.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:00 am

I cant wait til you get it done. Ill foward this to HPI with mess this is how you dou it *censored*.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/383%20Jeep/SV-SIG04-02.png[/img]
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Sv250 that would be funny I would love to see the look on their faces :lol:  .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links