FLM savage x ss build

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

messiah1
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Re: FLM savage x ss build

Post by messiah1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:49 am

[quote="dodgedude";p="827609"]Its really coming together man :D looks good.

Are you planning on de-annodizing the purple parts? Once I went XL I couldn't stand looking at the purple behind the engine.
Easy Off Oven cleaner works great, but still needs a polish after.[/quote]

Greased Lightning works better.  And if you watch it and pull it before it starts to turn dark, you don't need to polish.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:32 pm

i actually like the purple anodizing. im going to leave those bits purple, if everything was raw aluminum id end up polishing it. i already have an all aluminum 1/5 scale where everything is polished, one is enough.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 am

last night i built a 2nd roll bar that will hopefully provide a little protection for the head. its made out of 5/16 delrin rod i had left over from building links for my crawler.

and fitted the old body. it does look a little funny but itll work for now. the small 3.2" masher 2000s also look a little small for the extended chassis, however i started looking for some 40 series mashers (i love the mashers, work well for every situation) but they arent very easy to find.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SXL-APT
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SXL-APT » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:40 am

Nice truck, the build looks like its coming along nicely.

Don't think that header is even close to the same length as the 4.6 header. Actually looks longer then the XL header. However It looks like it has some length at the end to cut it down to size, might not be as prime as the 4.6 header cause it looks like even when ct it might be longer unless cutting into the curve, but looks like it has some room to play with. Maybe if Robin catches the thread and can tell by pic, he can let yah know how much to cut for it to be at the "Tuned" length.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:27 am

its actually the exact same length, measured it out. that pic is a little deceiving, its far tighter of a bend than most headers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:11 pm

got to run the truck today finally. all i can say is holy crap this thing is so much fun!!! the truck handles far better now, im able to get hard on the throttle or slam on the brakes and lock the tires up without upsetting the chassis and sending it onto its lid. im also pleased to report no half tank lean issues, i had gotten so used to constantly checking the temps and richening it up as the tank went down, its so nice not to have to do that anymore. the "new" header seems to have made the motor much more responsive and it has better top end power.

i do have a couple things to work on though. twice i had issues with it going into reverse, im fairly sure i just need to do some work with the reverse linkage as thats what fixed the problem last time. the second thing, i gotta do something about the tuned pipe. the pressure fitting broke off the pipe, so i had to jam the hose into the hole. this is how my tc3 was out of the box, however i just dont like it. its a cheap pipe anyways, this truck deserves something better. the other thing is i cant do wheelies at all, when i hit the throttle it spins all 4 tires and takes off. its kinda fun to be able to take off that hard, however just one tank on pavement and my tires are rather chewed up. ill have to see how it works on dirt, unsure if i should just get a set of road rage tires or if i should get some 40 series tires of some sort.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 pm

the pipe issue is now solved, or it will be in 2-3 weeks. i just sent the payment for an ercm side bleed pipe. time to make this thing move and sound like it should.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sun May 13, 2012 4:38 pm

forgot about this thread.

i got my ercm pipe about a month ago, got a quick run and it sounded cool but didnt seem to have the power i was looking for. i never really got a chance to play with it much (not even a full tank). finally got a good chance today to a run a few tanks through it, after a little tuning, what a beast. first off, it sounds liek no other. the stainless steel gives a real unique sound. its a side bleed, everyone says the pipes are louder but ive aimed mine out instead of down so its actually quieter as the sound doesnt echo off the ground. the power out of it is incredible. the truck will actually pull the 47/17 and high speed 3rd gear quite well. the motor now runs steady at 250*f, doesnt fluctuate. im very happy with it.

im still having one big issue with the truck though, and thats the tire spin. with the proline masher 2000s from a stop if i hit it the back end will squat, break all 4 tires loose and take off sideways, and thats on hot pavement. its quite entertaining to watch till i looked at the tread on the tires. i decided to try some other tires, tossed my half worn out dirt bonz on and that seems to have helped that problem, the truck will now stand up on the wheelie bar. as the dirt bonz have enough surface area to avoid spinning, the sidewalls are way to soft (truck is all over the place, especially 3rd gear). what im getting at is i need some tires with some more grip. as i mainly run my truck on the road i like to take off over the grass and such, so i dont really want onroad tires. any suggestions? im still tossed up on 3.2" or 3.8", i actually like the smaller 3.2. i know options seem to be getting limited these days too, all the good stuff seems to be discontinued.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tweaked
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tweaked » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:42 pm

What wheelie bar is that sharkey?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 pm

thats a home made wheelie bar. its made of some non adjustable savage upper arms, some 1/8" music wire, wheel collars, and some airplane landing gear wheels.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links