Most durable body

Tips or questions about painting should be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

americandrug
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Most durable body

Post by americandrug » Thu May 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Ok guys/gals what company makes the most durable body for the xl chassis. I've got one that came with, off Craigslist used, and I've got no idea what company makes it. It's very thick plastic unlike other bodies I have and takes a beating. Thanks!
Too many mods to list...
Any columbia, SC peeps?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Synk
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Synk » Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 pm

I have had better luck with the thinner bodys. They tend to flex more where the thicker ones crack. But they will tear. Parma makes some thicker shells if you want to go that way.
My suggestion is to place a piece of foam between the shock tower and bodymount. Then put the mount clips under the bottom of the slot in the tower. Works like shocks for the body mounts.
savage x ss Lrp zr.30, octane cage and mod radio box, ofna mid tank 250cc, integy saver front/rear hubs, sv250 mod 3 spd, no mix arm throttle, hitec 5645 5625 servos, 4xbb 4xstd shocks w/35wt, flux drivetrain, 30k wt diff oil,  new era wing, tonys screws

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LeroyX » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm

I reinforce mine with fibreglass mesh drywall tape and shoe goo, works very well. Also in areas such as the shock tower and mount holes described above I cut pieces from a plastic milk jug and use that with the fibreglass tape. It adds a fair bit of weight to the body but is well worth it.
[hr][i][b]Savage XL[/b] Clocked Picco Boost 28, ERCM end bleed, Bullet Proof 3spd with high spd 3rd, Hellfire 150 tank, OFNA throttle mod, Big Bores and lots of other stuff my wife doesnt know about...
[b]Savage XS[/b]- rolling on 2.8 Traxxas Talons[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

diskfunktional
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by diskfunktional » Thu May 09, 2013 9:31 pm

I use Proline topkick bodies for my XL. Super durable and you don't need the cage with it on. It protects the engine well and looks beasty

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Maff
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Maff » Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 am

For the XL I use an AWC Hardcase fibreglass shell (white truck in my avatar). It's taken a ton of punishment and no real breakages.
However there are downsides. First, its very heavy so not great for getting big air. It might not break easy but it has chipped along the tail from rolling on concrete. Road use will rip this shell apart. It also has cracks on the front wings, but the shell has stayed intact and doesn't seem to be on the verge of death. Final downside is the manufacturer won't sell the decals separately. I wanted to remove all stickers, rub the body down and fill the cracks and repaint but after contacting AWC I was pretty disappointed to learn the shell only lasts as long as the decals do if you care about having window stickers.
Because of the weight I only use this shell for hill climbs where weight helps keep the nose down and rolling down steep banks happens a lot. For everything else I use 2 Gigante shells doubled up for extra strength.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Ascender » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:50 pm

One trick I have is to use the waste lexan from the bottom of the body to make a body post reinforcement. Just cut a rectangle about an inch longer than the space between the body mount on the front or back, then ream the holes to fit over both posts. Put it on over the the top of the body like a set of body washers. It's gotten me a lot more time out of several bodies.
[align=center][b]Black Cat II - Unleashed[/b]

[img]http://gonneville.smugmug.com/Hobbies/RC/Black-Cat-II/i-jPHSnrZ/0/O/IMAG0293-sig2.jpg[/img][/align]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links