Welcome to Savage-Central.com -- The #1 (And Largest) HPI Savage Site on the Net
savage central
  Login or Register Home  ·  Forums  ·  Savage wiki  ·  Your Account  ·  Search Forums  ·  SC Store  
savage central
savage central
savage central
savage central
  Main Menu
HomeHome  
    Home
Members  
    Groups
    Members List
    Private Messages
    Your Account
Community  
    Forums
    SC Store
    Photo Gallery
    Savage wiki
    Search
    Supporters
    Surveys
Statistics  
    Statistics
    Top 10
Files & Links  
    Downloads
    Web Links
News  
    News
    Topics
Other  
    Shout Box
    Donations
    Site Map
    Stories Archive
    Recommend Us
    Feedback
    FAQ
    Docs
    Content

Random Product

HPI Racing Ringz Wheel Shiny Chrome 83x56mm (2)

HPI Racing Ringz Wheel Shiny Chrome 83x56mm (2)
$13.99

User Info
Good morning 
Anonymous

Register
Lost Password
Username
Password

Online:   
Member(s):

Guest(s):
01. Guest
02. Guest
03. Guest
04. Guest
05. Guest
06. Guest
07. Guest
08. Guest
09. Guest
10. Guest
11. Guest
12. Guest
13. Guest
14. Guest
15. Guest
16. Guest
17. Guest
18. Guest
19. Guest
20. Guest
21. Guest
22. Guest
23. Guest
24. Guest
25. Guest
26. Guest
27. Guest
28. Guest
29. Guest
30. Guest
31. Guest
32. Guest
33. Guest
34. Guest
35. Guest
36. Guest
37. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 240
 Member(s): 3
 Total: 243

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 87,333

Link to us
Savage-Central.com -- The #1 (And Largest) HPI Savage Site on the Net

Advertisement
savage central savage central

Forum Control Panel

http://www.savage-central.com Forum IndexForum Index     SearchSearch     http://www.savage-central.com Forum IndexUsergroups     ProfileEdit your profile     MembersMembers     Private MessagesLog in to check your private messages
     RanksRanks          StaffStaff     StatisticsStatistics     Board RulesBoard Rules     Forum FAQForum FAQ     Login / LogoutLog in

Search for at
http://www.savage-central.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
First Savage, Phillips head screws, xl kit for alza cd Savage Flux HP JRudd 4 Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:41 am
Felix View latest post
Micro Baja General R/C Talk SV250 3 Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:35 pm
SV250 View latest post
Who has the best looking Savage? Savage Pictures l3asher 288 Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 pm
racaner View latest post
snow plow Savage Hop Ups greywolf123 2 Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:49 pm
Squid View latest post
O.S 18tz Fuels, Glow Plugs & Engines ASBURY 10 Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:43 pm
ASBURY View latest post
first 3 gallons through savage X 4.6 General Savage Forum ghia 11 Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:22 pm
ghia View latest post

Which motor!?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://www.savage-central.com Forum Index -> General Savage Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:04 am Post subject: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

I have the XL and the stock motor is a piece of junk and can't work on it for one more min. I'm gonna order a new one ASAP so I need some professional opinions on what to get. I hear picco and then I hear lrp. Im gonna race it so show me the right one! I'm pretty new to this and this is the only motor iv tuned and my confidence pretty low because the thing is junk. Thanks guys!
bigblockRI
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 am Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Any LRP .. check out http://www.towerhobbies.com and amain has a good motor selection also.

'13 Savage XL , LRP 28s3, ERCM endbleed, Werks Conical Header
Vp 30% powermaster, FLM XL tvps , FLM hybrid bulk , 50k Diff Fluid

420 rc creW
MTHEAD
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 am Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

I would probably go with the Picco .28 and let ERCM (Robin) perform his magic on it.  The LRP would also be a good choice.
WyldOne
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:49 am Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

picco bro
Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:00 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Which one is easier to tune? I hear lrp is and I was originally thinking of the .30x?  Because like I said I have no confidence on tuning because this was my first motor and to tell you the truth the thing breaks down more times than iv put fuel in it. And also what kind of clutch, clutch bell, fuel percentage and glow plug to go with? I'm gonna be racing short track and right now I have the 13t an 16t clutch bells, and McCoy hot standard plug because they said it was easier to tune. Any help I can get would be great thanks!
Meatgrinder
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:26 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

I have the LRP 32 and it is very forgiving in the tuning. I believe the Picco takes a little more
precise tuning. If you're not too good at tuning yet, I would lean towards the LRP.
What ever you go with put a ERCM pipe on it. Well worth the money.

If you not braking something..... your not trying hard enough!
LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:12 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Your going to get many opinions on this one for sure. Since you say you are going to race it i would go with either the lrp .28 or picco .28, they are both more suited for racing than any larger displacement motors. I have the picco boost 28 and with its new carb and long needles is very, very easy to tune. I find the quality of the picco motor is better than the lrp motors although i have only had the lrp .32.

Savage XL Clocked Picco Boost 28, ERCM end bleed, Bullet Proof 3spd with high spd 3rd, Hellfire 150 tank, OFNA throttle mod, Big Bores and lots of other stuff my wife doesnt know about...
Savage XS- rolling on 2.8 Traxxas Talons
Goody23
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:04 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

LRP .30x with a pull start. Nice high rev rpm'd motor.. I just bought a lrp .28 and a second lrp .32 to have on hand incase i get bored... but there great motors which ever you go with.
Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:09 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Okay so if I go with either of those motors what setup should I do?  I mean if I get a lrp or picco which clutch setup should I do? Fuel percentage? Clutch bell size? Glow plug? And any other advice I could get thanks guys!!
LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Use a good 30% like werks or Byron's ( there are others but these are what I have used) in lrp's or picco p3 use a medium plug like McCoy mc 8, picco boost I use a picco medium plug.

For Clutch I have always used OFNA aluminum with great results but lots of members here are running the integy 7075 material clutch setup. I have 3 sets here now, just haven't tried them yet. Gearing is up to you depending on what you are doing, track conditions etc. I like 16/47 for general messing around.

Savage XL Clocked Picco Boost 28, ERCM end bleed, Bullet Proof 3spd with high spd 3rd, Hellfire 150 tank, OFNA throttle mod, Big Bores and lots of other stuff my wife doesnt know about...
MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

subscribing for future reference  Cool Gonna upgrade after practicing at least 1-2 rebuilds with my current 4.6

Looking for well modded truggy/buggy, PM me! Also maybe Savage X/XL
WyldOne
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:18 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Both LRP and Picco are top, quality built engines. The Picco .28 would be your best bet. Plus the new boost model is a lot more tuner friendly. What ever you choose, you'll be very happy with.
Goody23
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:43 am Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

For my bashing XL i have a .32 with a BUKU clutch. 16tooth CB and 30% VP fuel.. Now its a torque monster so you would wanna run different CB/SPUR combo but BUKU clutch is awesome. can adjust when 1-3 shoes open and engage, so you can rev higher before they grab or make them grab right off the bat. Now with that said, they tell you to make sure you have an all metal drivetrain... so i had to bulletproof my 3 speed cuz i chewed through my idler gear in the bottom of the trans. hope some of this helps.. Again i bash mine but she gets up and screams with this combo for me!
Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:05 am Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Okay i think i made it up I'm doin the picco boost .28 5tr decent choice?? With ofna ofn10107 Jk racing clutch system, #8 mcCoy plug and 30% fuel.... Decent choice??? Is the 30% fine to break it in with?? And how should I properly break in that motor? Thanks guys!
LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

You will need a turbo plug for the boost engine, the mc8 will not work. I use picco mediums in mine.

And yes 30% is fine for break in. As for break in method do some research, there are hundreds of threads on this subject. What ever you do don't idle for tanks on end, idle for a half tank or so while you get the lsn set so it has a little bit of throttle response than go easy from there keeping temps 200-215 or so. After .5-.75 you can begin to tune a little at a time. The picco boost .28 is very easy to break in, not like some of the older picco's use to be. Tuning it will be easy as well, the tuning window is very large, kind of like the stock f4.6.

Also if funds permit you should get a good pipe to go with it, OFNA 086 or ercm.

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:04 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Thanks your helpin me out a ton! Also will I need anything else to put this motor in like different motor mount from the stock one...or just any thing that I need that it didn't come stock with? Moneys not an issue i just wanna get everything in one order so I can put it in as soon as it comes in. Thanks!
Meatgrinder
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:18 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

the motor should bolt right up to the motor mount.
I would also go with the ERCM pipe.

If you not braking something..... your not trying hard enough!
LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:50 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

The picco will require a little grinding on the engine mount to fit but its super easy to do with a wheel grinder or Dremel. Make sure you get the pull start version.

Get the integy 7075 Mach clutch kit, hpi vented clutch bell (you pick tooth count but might as well get a few, 15, 16 and 17 and do some experimenting) As before order the pipe of your choice but OFNA 086 or ercm are both good. Ercm is Mega loud so consider that first if you have kids that will be with you or run near houses etc. also some tracks may not allow it. I am going to order a 086 just to try out and for when I need it to be a little quiter.

Also consider doing a mid tank mod or run a different tank. The stock tank has pretty bad half tank lean issues. I went with the hellfire tank, its only 10 cc smaller but runs consistent from beginning to end.

BillyC74
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

Imo the 5.9 is a ok rtr engine. Mine has been reliable and it has good power for a rtr engine. My concern is, you are fairly new to this and if you can't keep your 5.9 running a new fancy engine isn't going to fix all your problems. Maybe you should slow up and cut your teeth and gain some tuning experience on the 5.9.  I mean no offence, just trying to help.
LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 pm Post subject: Re: Which motor!?! Reply with quote

^^ good point

http://www.savage-central.com Forum Index ->  General Savage Forum
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Time synchronized with the forum server time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: